Wednesday, August 24, 2005

Stories

You know, I read a lot. Part of why I read is so that I can find ways to better articulate the good news of God's grace. As I read and understand at a deeper level, I hope that I can communicate the way that God is at work in our world, pursuing us, loving us, and transforming us.

What I find though is that all these books, mostly written by very smart people aren't nearly as good as the stories that people tell me of God's work in their lives. I have had a chance to meet with a couple of really amazing people this week. These are people whose lives have been harder than most of us can imagine. When they tell their stories I begin to see a clearer illustration of the amazing grace of God than I can read in any theological text (theological actually translates -"words about God.") When people really open up and share their walk with God, I know I am really walking on holy ground.

Perhaps there is someone out there who can see God through your story. Or, perhaps there is someone's story out there that will reveal God to you, if you are willing to listen.

peace,

will

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I cannot count the number of times that someone has been a "living Bible story" for me. The lessons we learn from the way other people live are personal and powerful in a way that we can often relate to better than the Bible. It is as though God is bringing us an updated version of His stories all the time. We just need to listen. What do you think?

Anonymous said...

Here is a story of an incident that happend last winter. The moment was so moving to me that I had to record it to always remember. I have always wanted to share it with Grace in some way, now I have that way.

How I know I taught them well


It was the night of the first freeze of 2004. Money had been tight and the electricity had been cut off that day. Frightened for my children’s safety, I called the electric company right away and gave them the numbers to my bank account. I knew the funds were not there but overdraft protection should cover it and at least buy me some time. Well, the electric company nicely thanked me for payment and assured me the power would be on in 24-48 hours. 24-48 hours ??????! I explained that that would not do, we needed an emergency hook up. It would freeze tonight and I had three small children. After speaking to a few reps and a manager, I had to accept that we would have a very long night. I allowed my oldest to spend the night with a friend because she knew how humiliating the situation was to me. I felt as if I had failed as a mother to subject my children to this. She told her friend’s mother that her sisters were staying with family because her mom was going out of town for work tonight.


Now, again, money was tight but I had a little cash. I had enough to buy a couple bundles of firewood for the fireplace, some bottled water and some bagged snacks. My mother had once pieced together many pieces of felt to make the warmest blanket ever for me. I brought out that blanket with candles to navigate the home. I put both children, then ages 5 and 3, in the den (which my oldest had converted into her bedroom). This room has the fireplace. I told my children stories of Abe Lincoln and others who had lived like this every day in their time before electricity. I bundled the kids up in the blanket and played picnic with them so they could get a little in their tummies before they fell asleep. They watched the fire for as long as they could stay awake, a little fearful of it every time it crackled or shifted. I stayed awake knowing that if I fell asleep and let the fire go out, my babies could freeze. My husband worked nights and would not be home for hours.

Before falling asleep, my 5 year old had one last comment, “mommy, it is so sad for those people who don’t have a home and live like this everyday”.

She never felt sorry for herself.

Unknown said...

Thank you so much for sharing that moving story. Children often understand things at a deeper level than we do as adults.

peace,

will