Tuesday, August 23, 2005

Meeting the Challenge

I made a challenge in worship two weeks ago that we be a church that studies the Bible together in small groups. I am pleased with the number of people who have responded to that challenge by enrolling in Disciple Bible Study. I made a specific challenge for 16 people to join me in Disciple I on Tuesday nights. I now have enough people to form a class, but I am still not backing down from that challenge. I am looking for a few more people to fill that class.

Teaching Disciple is one of the most rewarding things I do as a pastor. Most people just don't know how rich, complex and enlightening the Bible can be. The purpose of Disciple I is to open the Bible up to you in new ways. We read the text, but we also look at the background and context. We are informed by scripture and by the history of God's people and we are also informed by each other. It is by reading together and beginning to see scripture through each other's eyes that the word of God comes alive with a message for our lives today. If you think Bible study is boring, I assure you, Disciple will change your mind.

There are also a number of openings in Pastor John's Thursday evening Disciple III class. If you have already taken Disciple I, I really want to encourage you to consider studying with John. Studying the Bible is a lifelong journey and this is a wonderful opportunity to take the next step.

If you want to register you can e-mail me or call the church office at 361-242-3333. The deadline to register is this Sunday.

peace,

will

No comments: