Wednesday, December 28, 2005

Taking a breath...

Many pastors take vacation the week after Christmas. It is a good idea. The weeks before Christmas can be quite exhausting. It is not just preparing for Christmas services, although that can be quite a bit of work. The fall of the year in the church is one of the busiest times. Here at Grace it seems like a pretty straight run from the pumpkin patch right to Christmas day. Fall also brings some extra work for pastors in our commitment to the larger connectional church. We have to get ready for our annual Charge Conference and there are evaluations from the district that must be completed.

Whether a pastor chooses to go on vacation, or stick around the office like I am doing, the week after Christmas is a week to take a breath. For me, it is about looking over some of the things that just didn't get done over the last couple of months. There are things I can go back and do, and others that I will just have to let go of. It is also about getting some reading done. It is a very important part of my life and work to keep reading. As a pastor, if I don't input new things into my brain, I will eventually run out of meaningful things to say.

I know that a lot of people are worn out. Fall and the Christmas season can be overwhelming for lots of reasons. There is the stress of too much to do, too much to buy and too many places to be. For some, Christmas holds unique stresses related to family and friends who are either too far away or too close.

Here's hoping that we can all find some rest and peace.

blessings,

will

No comments: