Tuesday, December 13, 2005

Poll Finds Most Americans Believe God Exists

Gallup just released a new survey that shows that 94% of Americans believe that God exists.

You can read about it here:

Gallup: Poll Finds Americans' Belief in God Remains Strong

I haven't seen the text of Gallup's release, but the article uses "believe in God" synonymously with "think God exists." I don't think those are necessarily the same. It may sound nitpicky, but it is something to think about. Is it possible to think God exists and still not believe in God? I think so. I think I spent much of my life in that place. If pressed, I certainly would have said I believe God exists, however, I was not ready to believe in any picture of God that was presented to me.

One of my seminary professors defined an atheist as one who had yet to be presented with an image of God that they could accept. I believe atheists would disagree with that, but it makes a good point. 94% of Americans think that God exists, but yet 14% of Americans do not follow any organized religion. That means there are more Americans who don't follow an organized religion than there are United Methodists, Episcopalian and Lutherans combined.[1]

It seems that our goal then, in reaching out to the unchurched is not about getting people to believe that God exists, but to see an understanding of God that makes them want to believe in God, to put their trust in God.

Just a thought. In a related statistic. God still believes in 100% of us.

peace,

will

[1] Cathy Grossman, "Charting the unchurched in America," USA Today, 2002-MAR-7, at: http://pqasb.pqarchiver.com/USAToday/110249542.html?

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I think it's great that you weren't "ready to believe in a picture of God that was presented to you."

It's too easy to latch onto a pre-conceived idea about God or an established picture that is presented, and unfortunately I think that's what happens with many Christians. It takes a lot more awareness to discover and experience God for ourselves, and the results are a lot more profound.

Thanks for sharing that.