Monday, December 05, 2005

Some More Light Reading

A while back, I promised to post something about every book I read. I haven't forgotten, I just haven't been getting through books as fast as usual.

I just finished Bill Bryson's masterpiece A Short History of Nearly Everything. The title is more descriptive than you can imagine. Bryson takes a scientific stroll from the beginning of the universe to the present day with stops along the way to give the reader a basic understanding of physics, chemistry, paleontology, genetics and I am sure a few more sciences I have forgotten. Bryson is not a scientist, he is a writer and that is what makes the book so fantastic.

What I kept thinking throughout the book was, "I sure wish he had been my high school science teacher." Bill Bryson has a knack for making anything interesting. If you are a fan of any of his other books, you may know what I mean. (In his book A Walk in the Woods he made his failed attempt to hike the Appalachian trail fascinating.) He does more than share the facts, he tells stories, a lot of stories about the quite peculiar people he have discovered some of the most important things in our history.

A couple of words of warning about this book. First, Bryson is attempting to share an overview of the scientific understanding of the history of our planet. He is not thinking at all about theology. There is no mention of God's part in creation, not even a fleeting wondrous mention. He also states some pretty clear views on the creation of the universe and evolution. If you are easily offended by this sort of thing, this might not be the book for you. It would be easy to argue with some of his points on a theological basis, but I don't know that I would want him to argue with my sermons on a scientific basis.

Second, this book may have the consequence of making you feel amazingly small, but that sort of thing happens when you consider the total of all creation.

Happy reading.

peace,

will

No comments: