Thursday, December 15, 2005

Getting Ready For Christmas

Are you falling into that last minute rush toward Christmas? I feel especially calm this year but there are still parties to prepare for, gifts to wrap, services to plan and a sermon to write. Online shopping has certainly taken a lot of pressure off of present buying. Although I often have a last minute thought, my shopping is pretty much done.

Pastor John will be preaching Christmas Eve and I will be preaching Christmas morning. It is taking me a while to think about how to plan Christmas morning. I know most of our regular worshippers will come on Christmas Eve and spend Christmas morning with their families. Others will be out of town. As I am thinking about the service, I am thinking about who might be there and what message God might have for them.

I remember when I first became a Christian, I was living by myself. I had family in the same city but we weren't planning on getting together until Christmas dinner. Begin a new and excited (and naive) Christian I thought I would get up Christmas morning and go to church (it wasn't on Sunday that year). I was somewhat taken aback that not only did my church not have service, I couldn't find any church that did. When your church family is your family, it seems sad not to spend Christmas with them.

This is not an attempt to guilt you into going to church on Christmas morning. Christmas Eve will certainly suffice. I am just saying, I am glad that we will be here for those who want to be here.

peace,

will

(by the way, on Christmas morning, we will have one service at 10:00)

No comments: