Tuesday, October 11, 2005

The latest on a few things

I have been a little surprised at the limited media attention given to the earthquake in Pakistan, Afghanistan and India. I thought I would pass along a fairly comprehensive article from Reuters News Service.

Blocked roads, hail hamper Pakistan relief effort

I also want to pass along an update from The United Methodist Committee on Relief on efforts to assist in the area.

UMCOR - Pakistan Earthquake

Also, in the wake of Katrina and in the shadow of this latest disaster, not much attention is being given to our brothers and sisters here in Texas after Rita. I want to pass along a letter from the bishop of the Texas Conference of the United Methodist Church, Bishop Janice Riggle Huie.

October 3, 2005 - extravagant generosity

I think the reason there is not a lot of talk about the earthquake or the effects of Rita is that people are worn out. I understand that. In fact, I am not sure that constant media attention is always the most helpful thing. What we need is compassion and generosity. Natural disasters bring human suffering front and center. The reality is that people suffer needlessly every day. Perhaps it is best we not get hung up watching scenes of destruction and CNN and grieving. Instead perhaps we should be thinking about what we can do to help those who suffer from both the latest disaster and the daily disasters of poverty, homelessness, inadequate medical care, genocide, war, and needless violence that plague our planet every day.

Just a thought.

peace,

will

No comments: