Monday, January 22, 2007

The Real Life of a Pastor

I sometimes forget that people without much connection to the church figure that a pastor's normal day is something like this:

Rise early for prayer
Eat simple breakfast
Pray
Read Bible
Work on sermon
Pray
Eat simple lunch
Pray
Visit sick person
Work on sermon
Pray
Eat Simple Dinner
Watch "Touched by an Angel" on DVD
Pray
Go to Bed

Just to continue to debunk that myth, let me share how my day started today.

I got up early because I was assisting with a funeral today and wanted to go over some things.
I got out of bed, fed and let out the dogs, made coffee, prayed, ironed a shirt, let the dogs in, took a shower, went over the notes and prayers I had for the funeral, got dressed, and ate my usual breakfast of Kashi Go-Lean Cereal mixed with Fruity Cheerios.. I was waiting for the last minute to wake up Josh, feed him breakfast and get him dressed for Mother's Day Out. I had it planned out so that I could drop him off and have just enough time to take care of some last minute details before the funeral. When it was time, I went upstairs, and Lo! (that is usually only used in the Bible, but it fits here) Lo! The Smell! There had been a catastrophic poopie leak during the night. I reached for my cell phone to contact FEMA when I realized there wasn't time. Fortunately Alisha was right downstairs. I owe her big time for taking charge of the mess so that Josh and I were still able to get out the door in time. Though that smell is still in my nose.

The moral of this story is... well there isn't one.

peace,

will

No comments: