Monday, November 20, 2006

Rob Bell Revisited

I wrote a review a couple of weeks ago about the book Velvet Elvis by Rob Bell. In case you missed it, just click on the title in the last sentence and you can read it. I bring it up again because I visited the website of Rob's Church, Mars Hill. (www.mhbcmi.org) First of all, what a great website! Second of all, all of Rob's sermon are available for download. I downloaded one at random last week and put it on my iPod. Rob is a great preacher. He is not a great preacher of the variety that is incredibly exuberant, or entertaining, or funny. He just really knows his stuff and can translate it in such a way that anyone can understand.

Rob follows the trend of many modern preachers, a trend that seems to buck conventional wisdom, he preaches very long. The sermon I listened to last week clocked in at just over an hour. (And some people complain when pastor John surpasses the 20 minute mark.) Preaching long certainly doesn't seem to be hurting his church, Mars Hill is one of the fasted growing churches in American history.

I know a few people who like to listen to other sermons besides the ones on Sunday morning, which is great. However, there is a lot of bad theology out there. So, might I suggest downloading one of Rob Bell's sermons to your computer or iPod. Be prepared to be engaged and learn a lot.

You can go directly to the audio sermons page:

http://www.mhbcmi.org/listen/index.php


I started with the September 10th sermon, "Jesus Wants to Save Christians." The title is deceiving, it is a great sermon.

peace,

will

No comments: