Saturday, August 05, 2006

More Light Reading

I am always trying to balance out my reading by reading one fiction and one non-fiction book most of the time. Last time I was in Austin, I picked up a few books at the really great Goodwill store Alisha and I used to live near. You can usually find recent titles for $2.50 and our latest visit was no exception. (I also found a popcorn popper that I have transformed into a new coffee roaster, but that is for another entry).

I picked up Ken Follet's latest, Whiteout. If you read the blog much, you know that I am somewhat finicky about what I read, even fiction. (See my entry on Michael Crichton's Prey.) Follet's latest was pretty good though. It was a quick, fun, adventure thriller, more like watching a movie than reading a book. It had a bit too much romance for my tastes, but that might just be me.

The weblog is always a great place for you to post what you are reading. I like to know what people are into. Plus, my stack of books to read is getting a little low and I need to know what to get next.

peace,

will

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I recently read a fiction, a rather old one I think, called "Cold Sassy Tree." The cover suggests that it's a story about "an old man growing young, a young man growing up, and a small town moving forward in the early 1900's." Issues of integrity, character and faith are woven throughout the story. The boy wants to know from the "wise" grandpa why Jesus would say "Ask whatever you want in my name and it will be given." when everyone knows that doesn't happen. I appreciated the grandpa's perspective on the answer to that question.

I'm not much of a reader, so I don't know if this is a winner or not.