Wednesday, December 27, 2006

Sunday Preview

Sunday Preview
Sunday, December 31th 2006 (First Sunday of Christmas)
Wesleyan Covenant Service

I have never been one for New Year’s Resolutions. I have never been very good at choosing things to resolve and I have never been very good at sticking with them. I am much better at New Year’s Rededication. I like to take time at the beginning of the year to think about what is important in my life and rededicate myself to that.

I believe what needs to be most important in my life is God. If God is at the center, all those resolutions that I don’t make have a way of taking care of themselves. Through the year, it is pretty easy for God to slip from that top spot, so I think it is important, at the threshold of a new year, to rededicate myself to God.

John Wesley, the founder of the Methodist movement shared this belief and developed a service for this purpose called The Covenant Renewal Service. It has been traditionally held on New Year’s Eve or New Year’s Day.

I hope you will join me at any of our three services this Sunday, 8:30, 9:45 or 11:00 to worship, give thanks, and rededicate yourself to God on the eve of 2007.

peace,

will

No comments: