Thursday, October 05, 2006

A little time off... a little reading

I feel like the "What Will is Reading Now" section on my weblog has remained static quite a while. For me, I actually find it helpful to have those books sitting there for everybody to see. It hold me accountable to always be reading and it removes the temptation to just put a book back on the shelf (unless it is really bad, in which case I will put it back on the shelf and then write about how bad it was.)

Last night, I finally finished Marilynne Robinson's Gilead. Gilead won the Pulitzer prize, which I totally understood when I finished it but not always when I started reading it. The book is written from the perspective of a elderly pastor writing to his young son before his death. The pastor was remarried to a much younger woman late in life and regrets that he will not watch his son grow up, so he leaves him with these words.

As I was reading the book, I thought it was really slow, but then I realized that it was sort of my fault. I was trying to read the book in little snippets, mostly before bed. The book has no chapters, although it is broken into some short sections, but I guess I really like chapters for pre-bed reading.

Once I got away and was able to read in larger chunks, I realized what a fantastic book it is. It contains a very deep theology and an clear glimpse into the life and mind of a rural pastor. In this fictional account of a father's last words to his son we get an amazing look at some pretty heavy theological concepts like sin, grace and forgiveness.


Off I go. More reading to do.

peace,

will

No comments: