Wednesday, September 28, 2005

What do you mean there is no wireless internet here?

I apologize for my blogging absence for the last couple of days. I was at a retreat at Mount Wesley. For those who don't know, that is our United Methodist Retreat Center in Kerrville. I think it is safe to call it a retreat center now rather than a camp. The have recently added a large dining facility and renovated (and air conditioned) the worship center. Fortunately there are still lots of deer running around and it is nice and quiet.

I was there for a two day retreat for something called Covenant Connection. While I am in the probationary period of my ordainment which lasts three years, I will meet five times a year with a group of my peers. Each member of my ordination class is assigned a liaison pastor who has already gone through this process. We all meet to discuss the joys and challenges of ministry, to continue our theological education and to prepare for our final ordination. The group of Lawson pastors and the people who run this group will also write an evaluation and recommendation regarding us that will go to the Board of Ordained Ministry who makes the final decision about our ordination.

This may sound complicated and cumbersome. However, when I talk to my colleagues in other denominations, who are ordained straight out of seminary with no support of accountability and listen to how hard it is for them to make it as pastors, I celebrate our system.

I love questions about the ordination process. I know it can be confusing, but it is an important part of how the larger church operates. Feel free to ask me.

I will have my sermon from this week posted later today. (I hope)

peace,

will

No comments: