Wednesday, August 22, 2007

Read

I came across this yesterday from the Associated Press:

One in four read no books last year

Read the article, but to let you know it really is what the title implies, one in four American adults didn't read any books at all last year. That originally shocked me but then I thought about a bit and digested the whole article. I have to admit, there have probably been some adult years when I haven't read any books. There were a couple of years in my radio career when I was reading nothing but newspapers and magazines. You also have to take into account the number of people who can't read or can't read well and the number of people, especially the elderly, for whom reading has become difficult due to vision changes.

I actually found some of the other numbers encouraging. If you exclude the people who hadn't read any books at all, the typical person read around seven books. I don't think that is too bad, though certainly down from the days before television and the Internet.

Looking for something to read? Look at the right side column of my blog or search "read, reading or book" in the search bar at the top of the page.

peace,

will

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

It's extremely important to stress to new parents how important it is to read to their babies and toddlers--even if their attention span is only a few minutes. It makes a huge difference in their future.