Wednesday, May 02, 2007

Cleaning off my bookshelf, part I

I am way further ahead in my reading than my weblog suggests. I need to start posting some comments on some books I have read and moving them off the sidebar. So, here goes.



I picked up Vodka by Boris Starling on a whim and lucked out. I guess the title isn't what some expect to find on their pastor's bookshelf. Interesingly, it is actually about vodka or, at least, the story line revolves around out. It is sort of a drama, thriller set in Russia in the 90s with much of the plot involving a giant vodka producer in Moscow. It was a pretty enjoyable fiction read with lots of well developed characters.

The thought that comes to mind when describing this book is that it like Tom Clancy meeting Fedor Dostoevsky and deciding to write together. But at 656 pages, it is more like The Brothers Karamazov than Crime and Punishment.

peace,

will

No comments: