Tuesday, March 13, 2007

Is it dark, or is it just me?

This earlier daylight savings time adjustment has really left me in the dark. When I left the house on Sunday morning it was so dark, I was pretty sure I had set my clocks too far ahead.

It takes me back to my radio days. In the early part of my d.j. career, I often had to move day parts. In my first job after college, I worked midnight to 6 a.m. However, whenever someone went on vacation or was sick, I was called on to fill in their shift and have a part-time person fill in my overnight shift. So it wasn't that unusual to work midnight to 6, go home, take a nap and then fill in mid-days from 10 a.m. to 3 p.m. Sometimes, in the same week, I would end up filling 7 p.m. to midnight or even 3 p.m. to 7 p.m. and then back to the overnight. It is amazing what this sort of thing does to a body's internal clock. I would often wake up in the dark and wonder what that meant. Was I up late or up early? Even looking at the clock didn't help, especially in the dark of winter. The clock says six, it is dark. Is it a.m. or p.m.? And does that mean I should get up, or just go back to sleep? It all makes getting up in the dark on Sunday morning seem not so bad.

May you find light in the darkness.

peace,

will

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I know what you mean, Will. It was very surreal going to work in the dark Monday. But I think daylight savings time is always hardest on the kids. Especially the little ones who don't understand why they have to go to bed when it's still light out.

Anonymous said...

its darker now since we don't have the light of your blog to brighten our day...