Thursday, March 08, 2007

In Case You Missed it or Don't Get our Newsletter

This was in the last issue of the Grace newsletter:

During the season of Lent, as I prepare my own heart for the wonder and glory of Easter, I have decided to pay more attention to my commitment to sabbath rest. You have probably heard me talk about the fourth and longest commandment:

Remember the sabbath day, and keep it holy. Six days you shall labor and do all your work. But the seventh day is a sabbath to the Lord your God; you shall not do any work—you, your son or your daughter, your male or female slave, your livestock, or the alien resident in your towns. For in six days the Lord made heaven and earth, the sea, and all that is in them, but rested the seventh day; therefore the Lord blessed the sabbath day and consecrated it.

-Exodus 20:8-11

Most Christians observe Sunday as the Sabbath, many considering it simply as a day of worship. Sunday is rarely restful for me. Although I enjoy worshipping, three back-to-back services along with various other pastoral duties makes Sunday the hardest day of my week. So, on most weeks, I observe Friday as a day of sabbath rest. What that means for me is less about legalism and more about the spirit of the commandment. I try not work. That can be pretty tricky. I don’t work on sermons, but I will write in my journal. I will read, but I try to limit myself to books I enjoy. I don’t mow or trim the yard, but I will go fishing. I try not to drive unless it is necessary, which is it if I want to go fishing!

I think that it is legalism that keeps most Christians from truly experiencing the gift of disciplined sabbath rest. My father in law, when he worked as a Sheriff’s Deputy truly found rest and recreation working on his yard. A professional fisherman might not find relaxation at the fishing pier. And there are some things that just have to be done. I don’t think I am missing the spirit if I change Josh’s diaper or take him to the doctor.

I think a less legalistic question may be, “Am I finding this activity (or lack of activity) restful?” And, if not, “Is this something that I need to be doing today?”

Sabbath, for me, is truly about discipline. For in a day set apart for rest, the world does not just tempt me, it screams at me, laying before me demands and temptations. As I sit and read or play with Josh, I can become overwhelmed with the need to go to Home Depot to pick up some fertilizer, (the parsonage lawn doesn’t get that green all by itself,) or to Wal-Mart to get some diapers. My laptop beckons from inside my briefcase, “Don’t you just want to see if you have any email?” My nap might be interrupted by thoughts of a small matter that I left undone at the office.

Sabbath, for me, is not just avoiding these temptations and resting, it is about considering why these temptations are so tempting. On a day that I have dedicated to rest and be in God’s presence, why can I not let go of the desire to produce and consume? Won’t Home Depot have fertilizer when I drive by tomorrow? Don’t I have enough diapers to last until the next trip to the grocery store? Is the email going to evaporate in my inbox? Will God’s work through the church halt if I don’t do something? If I take one day to consider these things, that perspective stays with me throughout the week and I have an opportunity to listen to God’s leading in my life instead of being directed by the call and direction of the world in all its busyness.

I pray that you may find, at least some moments of sabbath in your Lent.

peace,

will

No comments: