Tuesday, May 23, 2006

God's Reaching

I want to post a message from an old and dear friend of mine. He has given me permission to post it on the blog. Two pieces of background: First of all, I have known Blake since before I found my way to Christianity and eventually the ministry. Second, Blake references an online audio sermon. He stumbled upon an experiment from last year where I posted an audio version of the Sunday sermon. I didn't get much response to I stopped doing it, but I guess God put it work anyway.

Here is Blake's message and my reply:

Just listened to the 8.14.05 sermon on the website and I should have listened a LONG time ago. I was engrossed. I’ve been thinking about going back to church after having been absent from it for years. It would really be the FIRST time I’m going in many ways. Yes, I used to go because my “mom made me.” Yes, I enjoyed the community, but no, I didn’t really grasp it. This would be me CHOOSING to go, along with my wife and my 4 year old daughter. I’m 35 years old now, so this is HUGE to me….and although my daughter is very loving and sweet, this would be a more concrete way to introduce her to the source of that love and really educate her about God. She doesn’t really know about God and I haven’t been comfortable with that fact for a while.

It’s easy for me to sit here many miles away from you and type this into an email, but this is something that’s been in my head and weighing on my heart for a while. The 1st part of that sermon appealed to the reader in me…the 2nd part appealed to the believer buried inside me, and the 3rd part appealed to the “Will’s distant friend” part in me and the part of me that’s feeling ready to live it more concretely

This isn’t the result of some specific, intense enlightenment or tragedy or moment in my life, which I always assumed would have to happen…and I’m not talking about wanting to become a monk or go to seminary…it’s just been…building…and that’s kinda odd to me. Without being melodramatic, words are falling short here. But I think if there’s anybody in this world that I personally know who would understand, it’s you….and probably my mom. J I actually brought it up casually with my wife the other day, and she said, “Do you want to start going to church? We can do that.” Absolute support from someone who is a sel-proclaimed “non-religious” person. Amazing.

I’m typing this and getting choked up. What’s going on with me? ( I say in half bewilderment and half joy.)

Wow…just thought I’d share. J There is a church right on my corner. I have no idea what kind of church, but I’m gonna start there.

I wanna post this on your blog so others can read it and comment on it (that would actually be very helpful to *me*), but it’s not like a message board where I can just POST something…and it wouldn’t really fit as a posted response to your DaVinci Code discussion…LOL. Feel free to post it on your blog somewhere if you feel inclined and please let me know your thoughts on all of this.

Blake

my reply:

Blake,


Thank you so much for sharing all of that. I am really glad you felt you could open up and lay that all out.

Let me start by speaking theologically. For me, the central point of the Christian message is grace. Grace is the unconditional love that God has for us no matter what. It is a thing that we can’t earn and that we can’t lose. No matter how far away we go from God, God is always there waiting for us. There is a really good parable about this in Luke 15:11-32. (You can read it in a good translation at this link: http://bible.oremus.org/?ql=15391769) Theologically, we have realized that God’s grace is presented in many ways. The one you are most likely encountering is what we call prevenient grace. That is God’s reaching out for us. It is happening all the time, but there are times in our life when we especially feel it. I can tell you from talking to lots of people, there is something about children that opens us up to God’s reaching. I don’t know if children lower our defenses or if the absolute miracle of their existence makes us ask questions that God is ready to answer.

A little more practically speaking, God is reaching out to you and you are listening. And for that I am glad. I love your words that it has been “in my head and weighing on my heart for a while.” That is how it felt with me. I didn’t know what was going on but I eventually figured out it had to do with God. We often think these things only happen dramatically, but usually they just sort of slowly happen.

Church is a great place to start. Remind me what part of the city you live in now and I will send you some suggestions for places to try. I really think you might want to try the United Methodist Church, the United Church of Christ (make sure the United is in there, it is a big difference) or even the Presbyterian Church. There are a lot of good denominations out there, but I know enough about you to guess that you want to be around open minded, thinking, seeking people. I think you will want to be around people who don’t think they have all the answers, but are asking the same questions you are.

I am excited for you. You are about to start (or resume) a wonderful journey. Please let me know how it is going.

peace,

will

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Several guys I grew up with are in ministry, and I follow them sporadically through their churchs' websites. I listen online to one of the guys' sermons once or twice a month. It is powerful to hear someone preach, knowing him in his so-called "formative years," and sharing so many of the same experiences.

Anonymous said...

Nice idea with this site its better than most of the rubbish I come across.
»