Tuesday, March 21, 2006

Sometimes Deep, Sometimes Not

I think this weblog is a fairly accurate reflection of my life. Sometimes, in my posts, I share deeply theological and spiritual insights and sometimes I just post about the mundane, day to day parts of my life.

Spring is here, (It is hard for a man from New York to say that on March 21st.) so I spent most of Saturday bringing the yard at the parsonage back to life. I raked and mowed and trimmed and fertilized. In case you think I am one of those men who enjoys yard work, I am not. I love being outside, I don’t mind working with my hands, but I do not enjoy yard work.

I am however, fascinated by fertilizer, especially the chemical kind. As I spread it on the lawn, I can’t help but think about how many lives it has saved. I put it on my lawn just to keep the lawn a nice pretty green and full. It keeps my grass healthy so that Violet won’t create so much mud when she runs around. However, worldwide, mass-producible, chemical fertilizers have increased crop-yields and allowed more crops to grow in more places therefore keeping people from starving to death.

Of course, now there are places where we use too much of the stuff and threaten the eco-system. But without it, there would be a lot more hungry people. (And my lawn wouldn’t be so green.)

peace,

will

No comments: