Thursday, February 09, 2006

Newsletter Column

The following is my column from this week's newsletter. I am posting it here for those of you who don't get the newsletter or think paper is "so 1900s."

This Sunday marks the final week of our emphasis on stewardship of service. As I said in my sermon on Sunday, the point of this time is not to find volunteers to fill all the jobs around the church. Just as we see financial stewardship as a spiritual response to the freely given grace of God, this is about considering the way in which we use our hands and feet to serve in the same way. We give to God in response to what God gives to us and then we trust in God to transform what we give into things greater than we could ever imagine.

Not only does our service hold the promise of transforming the world in God’s name, it can transform us as well. It is my experience that people who find ministries of service that connect their God-given gifts and talents with the needs of the world are forever transformed and drawn closer to God.

The very day I was baptized, I was asked to by a member of my church to help out with the Sunday School program by becoming the Sunday School Superintendent. All I had to do was collect attendance sheets and offerings and make sure all the children’s classes had graham crackers and icewater. I was terrified! I thought for sure I would some how mess it up. That first service opportunity turned out to be one of the most important things I have ever done. Not only was it important because it follows Jesus’ instruction to care for the little ones (see Matthew 18) it was also important because it drew me closer to God and helped me to better understand my role as a servant.

I really want to challenge you this week to think about what God is calling you to. I believe that every member of Grace can turn in a commitment card this week, whether you are stepping forward for the first time to try a new ministry or simply committing to continue in a ministry you are already involved in. If you are already involved in ministry at Grace, maybe you will consider taking on something else. Might I suggest that if you are serving in a ministry within the church (reaching in), you consider trying one outside of the church (reaching out)? If you are serving outside of the church, perhaps you will consider something inside the church.

I am really excited about this Sunday. I am looking forward to the number of people who will step up in ministry. I am looking forward to how God will transform our commitments and truly help us to bring God’s love to the people who surround us. I am looking forward to how we will be transformed as well!


peace,

will

No comments: