Wednesday, November 09, 2005

Getting ready for Sunday

It has actually been a few Sundays since I last preached. It was just a calendar thing. There was no sermon for our celebration Sunday and then we had Reformation Sunday and All Saints Sunday, two days that John really gets into. Of course the Senior Pastor gets to preach on his favorite days and I am quite alright with that. It actually works out well for John and I. John really loves the special Sundays in the life of the church. He loves things like All Saints and World Communion Sunday. I, on the other hand, really like the "ordinary" Sundays. I like the Sundays that have nothing particularly attached to them. I love starting my worship planning with no real idea of what the message is going to be about. For me, on most Sundays, the message I start hearing in the scripture for that day begins to shape not only the sermon, but the hymns and the prayers and the liturgy. Of course, we do the same thing on "special" Sundays, it is just that we start those with a theme already in mind.

This week, the scripture that is forming Sunday's worship is Matthew 25:14-30. It is the parable of the talents. This is a very unnerving sort of parable for some. Over the last week, I have been wrestling with it quite a bit trying to see what message it might have for us this week. You will have to check back to see how it goes.

peace,

will

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Not gonna answer me?

Oh well. The reason I asked was because I was interested in worship planning software and wondered if you use it?

jason