Wednesday, November 02, 2005

About the Weblog... The 100th Post

As I logged on this morning, I realized that this is my 100th post. I actually started this blog on May 26th, before I even got to Grace. As I look over the posts, I realize that some of them are quite profound, some mundane and some just plain silly. I have really enjoyed this exercise so far, and now I want to step it up a bit. For that, I will need your help in two ways.

First of all, I want the weblog to be interactive. I think this technology presents an amazing opportunity in the life of a church. Statistically, most members of the church have very little personal interaction with the pastor. For most members, a handshake on Sunday morning is the most personal time they spend with a pastor. Because of this, pastors like John and I, hear very little feedback from most of the congregation. I am not just talking about feedback regarding worship, or the sermon, or the selection of hymns. I am talking about issues that affect us and the church in our lives and in our world.

Not only do most people not have much personal interaction with the pastors, we actually have very little with each other. Grace UMC has nearly 1000 members. How many of us know all of them. So may, but how many of those people do we get a chance to talk to about things other than the weather or the temperature of the sanctuary?

Just over the last couple weeks, I have posted thoughts on poverty, a link to an article on Rosa Parks, and a link to an article about the United Methodist Committee on Relief's ongoing efforts on the Gulf Coast. I think it would be wonderful if we all had a chance to see where we all weigh in on these things.

The best way to get people commenting is to comment. Once people see that this is a safe to share, we may get more sharing.

Second, I need your help spreading the word. I can print bulletin and newsletter notices, I can mention it from the pulpit, but the best for people to hear about this space is for someone they know to tell them. Write down the address on piece of paper and give it to a friend, better yet, e-mail them the link. Even easier, at the bottom of each post, there is a little envelope, click it and you can send a post to anyone via e-mail. If you see a post that interests you, send it to someone. And don't be limited to members of the church. I believe in the power of technology for outreach. Someone outside of our church may get a glimpse of Grace through the words of this weblog (mine or yours) and decide that we might be worth visiting. It was a shabby, old church sign that brought me to God, why not a weblog.

My 100th post is probably also my longest. Thank you to all who faithfully read and to those who comment about it in person. (It is good to be reminded that someone is reading.) I thank God for all of you.

peace,

will

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Will

I think you would be surprised at how many people do read your post regularly. I am not in the habit of looking everyday, but I do find myself checking at least once a week. I hope this response will spur more. I think you and John are great pastors and are doing wonders for our church. Keep writing and we will keep reading. PS - be careful of what you wish for.

Anonymous said...

I'm in Dallas and I check in regularly. Thanks for your thoughts and warm spirit. Here's to a hundred more...

Anonymous said...

I agree--I think lots of people read your blogs regularly. In fact, I'm kind of disappointed when I check in and there's not a new one! I have greatly enjoyed your writings--and your sermons.