Tuesday, September 04, 2007

Still a little time to read...

All the work I have had to do lately has cut down on my reading time, but I can still find a little. My friend Barbara gave me this book as a gift a really long time ago and I lost it and then found it again (I had left it in my suitcase and had actually been carrying around for some time.)

I just finished The Plot Against America by Philip Roth. I am not usually a fan of semi-historical fiction but Roth is such a good writer, it worked for me. This is a fictional what-if book telling the story as if FDR had lost his third term and instead America elected Charles Lindbergh running on the single issue of staying out of World War II. It paints a picture of a very different America, especially for Jewish Americans.

What I do like about semi-historical fiction is that when you mix real history in with complete fiction, it forces you to remember the real history, all that stuff that may have slipped into the back of your brain with algebra. It is good to shake those things loose once in a while.

peace,

will

No comments: