Wednesday, April 12, 2006

Maundy Thursday

If I had to make a list of the days on the Christian calender that I thought were the most important, Maundy Thursday would be in the top five. Maundy comes from the Latin word mandatum which simply means "command." It refers to the new commandment that Jesus gives in the John 13:34 after he washes his disciples feet.

34I give you a new commandment, that you love one another. Just as I have loved you, you also should love one another. 35By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.

The service is about more than the commandment and it is more about washing feet. (Don't worry, there will be some foot washing, but the congregation won't be asked to participate.) The service also helps us to root our celebration of Easter in the Jewish celebration of passover. We will focus on two questions similar to those that would be asked at a traditional Jewish Sedar meal. We will add a third question unique to our Christian faith. Instead of a typical sermon, John and I will respond to the questions with scripture and some explanation.

Our service will build up to a celebration of Holy Communion. In an effort to root ourselves in the Jewish tradition, you will hear some of the Eucharstic prayer read in Hebrew.

I hope you will join us!

peace,

will

No comments: